19 Responses to “Introducing Modernist Cuisine at Home

1. I have the first edition Modernist Cuisine. Is there anything new in this one or it is an abridged one for the masses.
    Where is your Google +1 button.

• Wayt says:

Although you will find a few Modernist Cuisine dishes that have been adapted in MCAH for home cooks–such as the iconic Striped Omelet, Caramelized Carrot Soup, Roast Chicken, and Modernist Hamburger Patty–the vast majority of Modernist Cuisine at Home is all new content and original recipes, designed specifically to empower the home cook. If you compare the table of contents of MCAH to those of MC, you’ll see that the areas of overlap are actually quite small, and the two books are really complementary.

In MCAH, all of the recipes can be made using only equipment that you can find at a kitchen supply store. The book also provides suggestions for ways to improvise the cooking equipment that you don’t already have. For example, we offer several variations on ways to rig your own sous vide temperature-controlled water bath if you don’t have one handy. Although we look forward to the day when centrifuges and rotor-stator homogenizers are common household items, you’ll be able to cook nearly all of the recipes in Modernist Cuisine at Home with the kitchen gear you already own.

Even though the dishes in Modernist Cuisine at Home will be familiar to any home cook, our culinary team developed the recipes with the same scientific rigor and Modernist philosophy that has made Modernist Cuisine so respected among the world’s top chefs. We believe that home cooks and professional chefs alike are curious about the fundamental changes that take place inside foods when they are cooked.

2. Ben Riding says:

When will it be available on amazon uk?

It isn’t currently!

3. Niv Mani says:

I focus on Vegetarian food exclusively on my blog.. How useful will investing in Modernist cuisine @ home be ?

4. I have the 6 volume edition in English, which I bought through Taschen at Madrid Fusion this year.
    How do I get this one? Can I have a preview of what’s in it?

5. david says:

Yay – Cannot wait – not available to pre-order on the Amazon UK site though….

6. Ryan Casey says:

When will the book be available for Amazon Prime? I’d prefer not to order until I can get it shipped for free. Thanks!

7. ellegentsia says:

So looking forward to this possibly abridged for the masses Modernist Cuisine.

I know Natalie from Endeavour has reached out regarding an event around the book, so I look forward to seeing where the conversation goes. (I work on the same portfolio.)

8. Josh says:

This is awesome!! I’ve been intimidated by a lot of the MC recipes due to my busy work schedule and only incorporate sous vide cooking into my home rigged PID controlled slow cooker for meats. I’ve yet to delve into some of the great things I’ve seen in MC and I’ll be glad to give this a try first!

9. Jim says:

How far have the recipes been simplified? I am a home cook, but I strive to push myself to learn new techniques and gain experience with modernist ingredients.

10. Hi Nathan,

And I remember when you mentioned you were “writing a cookbook”! I should have known. No TED for us the last few years, but we are opening an artisanal ice cream shop in Portland in june called “What’s the Scoop?”, so if you are ever in Portland, please come for a visit.

11. dieta says:

Since 1992, America’s Test Kitchen, a 2,500 square foot kitchen outside of Boston, has been publishing its meticulously tested and instructionally detailed recipes in Cook’s Illustrated Magazine . This year, they culled the 2,000 most timeless, essential, delicious recipes from the magazine’s two-decade archive and presented them in The Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook: 2,000 Recipes from 20 Years of America’s Most Trusted Cooking Magazine — an epic nearly thousand-page tome full of “test kitchen wisdom,” strategies, and tricks from the culinary trenches.

12. Chris says:

Hi again,
    I bought the german version of modernist cuisine one year ago, and still I get a lot of inspiration. Are there plans for a german version of modernist cuisine at home, and does there exist a release date?

• Judy says:

Hi Chris,

Foreign editions are definitely a possibility, but we don’t have any firm plans as of yet. Keep checking our blog though; we’ll announce it here when we have any news!

13. apalmero says:

I was just reading for the second time “Modernist Cuisine” and was as fascinated as I was during the first reading when I found out that you published the Modernist Cuisine at Home, which to me meant a Modernist Cuisine for those, like me, who don’t have that much time and can’t afford all those machines anyway… of course I bought it.
    It’s fantastic and also makes me use much more its elder brother as I often go and look for the corresponding topics in Modernist Cuisine.
    I have already tried a number of recipes – the roast chicken was the first, but I found brilliant the steak sous vide in the cooler box – and of course since I bought it, I actually spent several hundred euros in equipment… ;)

There’s one thing though, that I feel compelled to call your attention on: Page 102, Pistachio Pesto. The text starts with a “Pesto, which simply means paste in Italian”. Well, this happens not to be true. I am from Italy and more specifically from Liguria, the Italian region where pesto comes from.

The sauce “Pesto” was “invented” by Genovese gourmet Giovanni Battista Ratto, around 1830. The first published recipe is in “The Genoese Cooking “published in Genoa in 1865 by brothers Pagano, but included a different kind of cheese than Parmesan. In 1910 the recipe as we know now was published in a book by Emerico Romano Calvetti.

And now that the historical digression is over: in Italian “Pesto” is an adjective from the verb “pestare” (to grind, crush, step on, etc etc) which means “Reduced to a pulp or powder using a mortar or pestle” or, in its human version” Bruised and swollen from the blows received”. So the name of the sauce “Pesto” is derived from the verb and adjective. Indeed, in its original recipe, pesto should be made with a (marble only!) mortar and a (wooden only!) pestle. Purists say that pesto made in the mortar is better as the blender oxydates the basil leaves, but this is not the point of my comment…

Alessandro

14. Juergen says:

15. Sauerbraten says:

Me too. When a German version of MCAH wil be available???

• Judy says:

Translations are definitely a possibility, but we haven’t made any concrete plans to start on them at this point. Keep checking out blog though; we’ll post about it there if/when we have anything to announce.

16. This is awesome!!..I am looking forward to the German translated version of MCAH. I hope that you will go for it.