11 Responses to “How Whipping Siphons Work”

1. jyee says:

“Carbon dioxide is best used for carbonation only”… Although mixing up the cartridges can lead to fun new discoveries. Carbonated yogurt has been my favorite so far (originally supposed to be a yogurt foam)

2. James says:

Will the viscosity of the liquid affect how many gas cartridges you need to put in. For example if you try to foam a custard as opposed to a fruit juice.

Thanks, James

• More gas makes for a thicker foam. Before you put another cartridge in, I recommend dispensing a little bit of foam after each charge to see if you’re happy with the texture. Keep in mind that it’s also possible to overcharge a siphon, and if that happens it will be hard to dispense the foam evenly.

3. chris davies says:

Hi.
    Can I swap agar for the gelatine in the recipe for apple foam in mc@h? If so how much should I use and how should I mix it all up?
    Thanks! Chris

• Yes, you can. Start with an amount of agar that’s equal to about 0.5% of the total weight of your liquid. Here’s what to do: starting with a cold liquid, hand-blend or whisk-in the agar until it’s completely dissolved. Bring it to a boil and then chill it until it sets. Transfer the gel to a blender and puree it. Then load the mixture into your canister and charge the siphon. If you have fresh apple juice that you don’t want to boil, disperse all the agar into half of the liquid and mix it all together in a blender. If you use pasteurized juice, however, there’s no need for this step.

4. Paul says:

Can you recommend a brand and model of whipping siphon that definitely takes the CO2 and NO2 cartridges. All I can find are models that say they take one or the other. No manufacturer says if a particular siphon is able to take the two different cartridges.

5. Waled Kamal says:

I always use Siphon did not know this information

6. Tash says:

If the gas has separated from the contents it means you haven’t shaken the contents enough. Make sure to shake after each charge!

7. The beans might have needed to be blended smoother. It also helps to hold the siphon straight up and down when dispensing.