13 Responses to “The Secret to the Perfect Soft-Boiled Egg”

1. Paul Kierstead says:

Are we starting with fridge temperature or room temperature eggs here (in the first step)?

2. Ryan says:

Sounds like a great method! Just curious, though, for those of us with blowtorches in the kitchen, where do those come into play?

3. Paul says:

I think boiling an egg should be left to boiling an egg. Blow torches and toaster ovens? Sounds a little over kill.

4. Cook says:

Oh, what fun. I tried portions of these methods a few days a go, while “Playing with Food.” They are effective. That said, the are far from functional methods and a waste of time; when I’m preparing soft eggs, I don’t have the necessary 30-45 minutes. Except in the lab, I don’t think anyone else does either – and for just the eggs! A far more functional workaround is Tea-strainer poaching: Crack single eggs into a fine tea strainer, drain for 20-30 seconds to remove excess white and gently tip into 200F water. A fun method folks, but no cigar.

5. k says:

huh? what! surely you jest? room-temp egg in cool water brought to v gentle boil for three and one quarter minutes perfect! with a stack of hot buttered toast – abs belissimo! australian farm fresh eggs, though!

6. Peg says:

I just tried a method I found online, and it worked Perfectly! Bring 1/2″ water to a boil on med-high heat. Drop in the eggs, cover and ‘steam’ for 6 minutes. I went 6.5 min for my extra large eggs. Perfectly set tender whites and creamy yolks : )

7. Ronald says:

First,let me explain; I am a bachelor. What works for me is whatever is quick. Large brown eggs go straight from the frige to be broken in pyrex custard cups; one per cup. THEN add the water up to the lines usually found on the cups.
    Nuke the cups, one at a time, for 55 seconds. If you put the toast down when you start nuking the first egg, it will pop up after you remove the second egg from the microwave.
    Sometimes an egg needs 5 to 8 seconds more to finish the whites, but then the yolk will be cooked hard too. I fetch the eggs from cups with a large slotted spoon which leaves the water behind. Best eaten standing up at the kitchen counter.

8. Wayt Gibbs says:

In my tests, I let the eggs sit on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes to warm before putting them in the boiling water. I used fresh large brown eggs. None of them cracked.