9 Responses to “Build the Perfect Pizza in 12 Steps”

1. le matou says:

I have the 16 x 14 x 1/4? – 15 LBS baking steel and had some good results with it. I tried the “no-yeast-no-rise-champagne-pizza-dough recipe with WRISE” but I’m just curious to know how different is the result with the added thickness to the steel plate.

Have you tried a gluten free pizza dough?

Alex

• Judy says:

Hi Alex,

We tested many different thicknesses and we found that we achieved the most consistent results with this one.

We actually have found that the key to great pizza dough is extra gluten, not the other way around. Check out this post for more on the science of added gluten: http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/neapolitan-pizza-dough/

• Mr. T. says:

The gluten information is interesting. I have found that one of our national brands provide a wheat flour with 13% protein. Not sure how much of that protein is gluten.

In a few hours a no-knead bread using this flour will go into the oven.

2. SCChris says:

I’ve been experimenting with a steel plate in my home oven and happy with it and it works well. Have you tried using a second steel one rack up over the cooking steel to speed the cooking of the top of the pizza? I’ve seen some pizza fanatics setup 2 pizza stones narrowly separated to accomplish a bottom up top down pizza cooking environment.

Thanks
    Chris

3. Madilyn says:

Do you recommend the aluminum pizza or is my old wood pizza peel fine? And why is 3/8″ thick steel perfect? Why not 1/2″, what were your findings?

4. Bryan says:

The http://modernistcuisine.com/baking-steel/ site mentions that it can also be used as a griddle on a stovetop. I have an electric oven with ceramic class cook-top. Can the baking steel be used on that?

I would love to use it to cover my burners to fit larger cooking options like as a way to heat a large paella pan.

5. Robert says:

One very important step not in here is to rub the pizza peel with a small amount of semolina flour before putting the dough on it. It will keep the dough from sticking in a way nothing else will, and make it easy to jerk the pizza onto the Baking Steel and remove it after baking as well. Search for Caputo Semola flour on Amazon if you can’t find semolina locally. It makes ALL the difference and takes the stress out of having to rush to load toppings on your pizza and get it in the oven. It also keeps the pizza from sticking to the peel after the toppings are on, which is always a disaster.

6. Judy says:

Yes, you should position the pizza near the broiler. This page talks a little more about it: http://modernistcuisine.com/baking-steel/

We have found that many toppings work well, including very wet ones–even tomatoes! But because pizza cooks so fast on the pizza steel, you may want to try precooking toppings that will need more than a few minutes beneath the broiler.

The amount of toppings you put on a pizza can be a tricky balancing act. You don’t want to overpower the pie.