13 Responses to “Demand for Modernist Cuisine Will Temporarily Outstrip Supply”

1. pedro says:

Ok. Take your best guest, I preorder from Amazon Canada on Oct 22. What are my chances of getting my book by mid March? I know you’re good with math. :-)

2. pedro says:

I’m in Madrid, Spain, btw.

3. Steve says:

For $600, I would like to think I’m buying a U.S. made product, not one from China. That’s very disappointing.

• nathan says:

I need to respond the comment about “US made” rather than printed in China. We looked at printers around the world and by FAR the best quality we found was the printers we are using in China. The idea that “made in China” means inferior.

Cost is also an issue, and printing the in US would make the book cost much more than it is now, but the quality would not be any better – at least from the options we saw.

The paper is Japanese – again, it was the best we could find.

Also, from my standpoind the book was “made” in the US as far as I am concerned – the printing, while important, is not all there is to the book.

4. Cari says:

I’m disappointed to learn that you chose to have your books printed in China rather than supporting a local printer. Think of the negative impact you’ve had on the local economy, your heavier carbon footprint, and on local employment. Very disappointing.

5. Andrew says:

Shipping goods from China by boat has a much lower carbon footprint than sending them around North America by truck – large cargo ships are one of the most efficient forms of transport ever devised. Look at this article, for example, talking about wine: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/04/ship-or-truck-makes-all-the-difference-in-wine-carbon-footprint.php

If you live in New York it’s much more environmentally friendly to drink French wine than Californian.

6. Congratulations on the book Nathan. I hope to be seeing you in Princeton soon!!!

7. Brian R says:

It’s a very nice change to see an author explaining in such detail the reason for the books’ delay. If every professional put such detail into communication with their customers, the world would be quite different.

8. Tom says:

I too am disappointed at the decision to print the books in China. There wont be any printers of any quality left in the US if everyone decides to print overseas. Also, there is more than just quality to think about, there are environmental regulations as well as the treatment of workers. As well as the government you’re supporting. I think that companies should be aware that consumers take into account where the products that they buy are made.

9. Simon says:

What possible response could there be to this post but ‘congratulations’? I’ve been following the story of this book with great anticipation, and it’s been wonderful to see a work so deeply steeped in the ethic and practice of excellent science gain such interest. Congratulations, again and again. I’m looking forward to experiencing the work in the flesh.

10. Chuck says:

I’m married with kids, meaning broke. If printing the art work in China held the cost down, I say Thank You Sir!

11. Jeff says:

I think it’s about time for another shipping update. It’s the middle of May now and the book is still sold out online. Please post some updates on how many were ordered recently and when they should start showing up. Thanks!